10.29.2012

do i really

I have an opportunity to participate in a show at the Mesa College Gallery with FIG, Feminist Image Group, but I am very conflicted with this prospect. I cannot wrap my head around the name of the group, "FIG" and what this stands for. At the meeting I went to yesterday they went over some of the things they've been doing.
There was a discussion about some of the exhibits, the intervention at the San Diego Art Fair, and the work at Quint Gallery by Ryan McGinness.


As I go over and over again in my head the name of the group and the discussion at the meeting, I am not at all comfortable with participating. I am not at all offended by the work of Ryan McGinness, and all artists have issues with getting representation for their work, female, and male. The conversations about the feminist concerns about women in the art world seems, to quote Sam Axe of Burn Notice, a  "bunch of bitchy little girls" I am ever to be apart of an art group I would like it to be a group that supports each other, without dumping on other artists, and in not focused solely on exhibits of their work.

Do I really compromise my principles in order to fluff up my resumé? The answer is: I cannot.

No comments: