9.04.2008

changing

I just got back from seeing

at MCASD Downtown.

The pieces created were all very beautiful.

I was hoping that seeing such an exhibition would settle my conflict about producing art.

As I wandered through my mind kept asking, what was the footprint of this work?

As I went to the interactive/response area my mind asked, what is the footprint of having people put stuff in jars, draw pictures, write in books, write on a blackboard?

From the MCASD website:
Human/Nature: Artists Respond to a Changing Planet is a pioneering artist residency and collaborative exhibition project that, for the first time on this scale, uses contemporary art to investigate the relationships between fragile natural environments and the human communities that depend upon them.”

The artists were all sent around the world.

I want to know:
What about our conservation practice?
What about our mass consumption of products?
What about our mega manufacturing of agricultural, and protein products?
What about our extreme ease with the disposal of what we no longer need?
What about our entitled attitude that gas has to be cheap?
And
……………………………………………………………………………

Of course we do not want remaining natural environments devastated by bad practices, but where is the example we set?

The exhibit asks:

When will the conversation be about our bad practices, and changing them?

The exhibit, the museum, the experience, seem arrogant.

It will no longer be possible to produce stuff. I will find a way to practice art in a responsible, environmental, conscientious, and engaging way. My first step, don’t be afraid, let go, and move forward.

No comments: