2.27.2010

questions and stuff

Last night was a reception for the installation David Adey: John Henry at the La Jolla Athenaeum. The precariousness of the installation makes it very interesting. But it being roped off makes it inaccessible and too safe. He has stated “All art is made out of things. All things are made out of stuff. All stuff is made from other stuff.” So I wonder is his art about stuff or is it about how the stuff is installed, maybe both. I find myself thinking it would be really interesting to see the piece spontaneously deconstruct, leaving a pile of stuff on the floor.



As I ponder the work I see a wonderful connection in the use of books as stuff in this library, but I wonder why saw horses. We speak to David and find out he will be installing this same piece in a gallery and questions about why this piece arise. Why book stuff in a gallery? Today the use of the term site specific in the art community is thrown around like hanging a painting on a wall. But how site specific is most of this work? To reinstall a piece in a different space is that site specific? Fresh in my mind I remember Vito Acconci talking about not thinking about how a piece will look, or what he will do before having the space, therefore truly site specific. It opens up the possibility for questions, a newness, and surprise that transform the space and thereby ones experience in the space.

As I made the bed this morning I thought about the work of David Adey and Tara Donovan and found myself being critical. As the criticism crept in I realized I need to turn the questions and criticism towards my work. Why the use of this material? Is it appropriate? Can it me repurposed, reused, recycled, composted? Why this space? Is it appropriate? Can the viewers experience be transformed? What about the viewer, can they be participants? Can the participants grow to be community?

I must always present the questions and allow for new questions to arise. I must make sure the questions are answered responsibly.

No comments: