2.20.2010

public and responsible

What is the responsibility of artist to society?
Political, environmental, social………?
Is the artist responsible to society?

As we walked I saw words on the building far in the distance. I could not read them but I knew there were works on a building. I kept pointing and asking do you see the letters?


When we got closer we could read the one side: the clouds looked no nearer than when I was lying on the street.



We rounded the corner I saw this was the Fairmont Pan Pacific Hotel.


I couldn’t wait to go inside. While inside I finally looked up I saw what looked like paper folded to create a lighting feature in the ceiling.



A couple of days later we were driving around and I saw the other side of the building with the beginning of the poem: lying on top of a building




When I came home from Vancouver I researched and found out the poem was created by a UK artist, Liam Gillick. It wraps floors 5-22, consists of 2’ high stainless steel letters in Helvetica bold font and cost one millions dollars.


The paper light in the lobby is a 180-foot long sculpture handcrafted by master origami artist Joseph Wu


These two pieces speak to the viewer, and the community.


To me they are responsible art therefore the artists have acted responsibly.


And I wonder why shouldn’t artist be responsible.


And I wonder how I can be a responsible artist.

No comments: