10.13.2010

fear of butchering


The region I inhabit is a simmering stew of cultural diversity which sometimes I seem to be an outsider looking into. I often miss out on what sounds like very interesting conversations and posts on Facebook.
I have many friends who speak more than one language and working at IKEA I come across many many many more, speaking many different languages. Having grown up in a bilingual country I wonder why I am not. I know it is my fear of butchering the language and insulting those who speak it. I already butcher my native tongue of English, therefore I need to let go of this fear which paralyses me from learning.
I  really want to learn Spanish, and yesterday I spoke to two of my coworkers who’s native language is Spanish. They were very kind and reassuring and had a great a suggestion to learning their language.
Go to the library and check out Spanish Children’s books.

They gave me other ideas and said they would be happy to help me. There is no reason  why I cannot do this. There is no reason to be fearful. I just have to put in the work and do it.
And I ask for forgiveness now for any butchering of this language I do.

No comments: