5.07.2011

conservation and art

Today, dressed for spring in San Diego




I went to H2O: The Art Of Conservation, at the Water Conservation Garden, part of Cuyamaca College.
This garden in itself is spectacular and a exceptional example of the importance of our community colleges and why education should not fall victim to budget cuts.
My favorite piece was Dia Bassett’s. 


It is a beautiful, crocheted recycled plastic bags, creating a river. She addresses issues of consumerism, waste, recycling, and water. Her piece is specific to her site.
I enjoyed many of the other pieces.

Adam John Manley

Collective Magpie

Omar Lopez

Ruth Wallen

Terri Hughes-Oelrich

Christopher Puzio

I know working within the limited budget set many constraints, which may explain why I saw many of them as mock-ups, hopefully later to become full scale site-specific installations.


I look forward to checking out the artists talks as this exhibit continues though the summer.

No comments: