7.25.2008

1st person singular

Last night I saw “First Person Singular: I.M. Pei.

I had only been familiar with the pyramid at the Louvre (which I have not been to), and the East Wing of the National Gallery (which I have been to).



As the film went through the East Wing of the National Gallery, I remembered how special and amazing it was being within that space. It had been such a joy to eat in the cafeteria, with all that natural light and the water cascading down. Usually a cafeteria is not the most pleasant experience, but here it was.

It was nice to relive that building because it was there I had seen the exhibit “Cy Twombly the Sculpture” in 2001. That exhibit touched me in such a way as to start the most sustained prolific practice in my art career since graduate school, and it has not stopped.

In the film Pei stands near the extreme pointed corner and tells how the stone masons did not want the stone in such a drastic angle. How they wanted to flatten the angle because they were afraid the stone would break. He told them he wanted to do it, so they did, but it would be his responsibility not theirs if it did not hold up. As he stands there talking he is touching the corner, and he says he always comes over to see if the stone has broken, and you can see how many have touch that corner, and he likes that people touch the corner.

I remember touching that corner.

I had not realized process could be important to an architect. I had never put it together. I know had important it is to my art practice, but I had thought architecture would have been too rigid to allow for a practice which involved a process of learning while developing. But through the film I have learned that Pei’s architectural practice is much like my art practice.

Pei also spoke about how important it is to see, get out of the studio, experience. Not to miss the opportunities to learn by experiencing life outside the studio.

I had not realized architecture could be so similar to art, in thought, in process, in experience.

No comments: