9.04.2010

I think I can move on

Feelings of crisis are arising. It started after going to the Art San Diego Contemporary Art Fair.
First thoughts, Is this any better than the San Diego Art Walk?  Art is inside on walls instead of out under a canopy.

There is a lot of STUFF here.

Larry Bell sitting in one of the booths. Is this real, is Larry Bell really sitting at an art fair booth hawking his wares.
Is this where art is. Is this what art is about.
Is it all about commodity.
My conflicted feeling of making STUFF arise, again.
The installation I just took down was an experience for viewers, but it also created stuff to store, stuff to recycle, stuff to give away, stuff to get back to artists, stuff to deal with.
How do I want to deal with stuff or do I want to deal with it at all.
Then there are questions of success, and what makes a successful installation..Is it being seen by many, is it being reviewed, is it making money.
-Being seen by many, how many is many, and there is always someone you know that will miss it.
-Then no one writes about it and you wonder why.
-And then you figure out more money went out than came in and wonder why did I even think about this.
How do I stop getting sucked into art as commodity and move on to what I want my art to be. I really really need to move on.
Maybe a list of what I want my art to be.
  1. sustainable (without harm to the the environment, people, and animals, and able to continue as a practice).
  2. accessible to many (physically and mentally accessible to a diverse population)
  3. added value (to my community, and myself)
How hard can this be, there are just three requirements.
Can I stop being sucked into what the concept of art is to so many?
And I love making STUFF.

No comments: