3.23.2011

try to


Statement on wall beside the piece reads:
I am a woman who very early on in life decided not have children. This decision was based on my perception that the world was not a good place to bring a child into. What makes it bad is our behavior. What I want as a woman is for people to try.............. and if they try, things will change, then a woman would never have to question if this world was a good place to bring a child into.

As part of my practice I am trying to incorporate something the view can take with them and with this piece it’s the small Try To! blank notebook. Each one I create is numbered and signed.

Recently I went to where the piece is on display and was surprised to see all the note books gone. I have found that often times people are reluctant to take anything, or maybe they don’t like what I’ve offered.


This time I did not make a lot of extras to give out and now I am making notebooks, and its fun. I wonder if I will run out at the reception.

It has been a good experience creating this piece for the exhibit What Women Want.


The gathering of text to stamp on wallpaper:


try to:

1/22/11
put others first
be compassionate
believe
use your brain
be environmentally responsible
be conscientious
smile more
be grateful
be thankful
care
be responsible
stop war
1/23/11
give back
not judge
be sincere
not be angry
want less
communicate
understand
consume less
remember
not worry
accept
forgive
let go
be a good role model
be creative
pay attention
1/24/11
be considerate
be informed
make wise choices
eat organic
not eat meat
not be cheap
think of others first
walk more
read more
appreciate what you have
appreciate others
appreciate who you are
be humble
be curious
keep learning
1/25/11
ask questions
believe in peace
meditate
not make guns
be thankful
stop war
love
say thank you
not expect perfection
not live in fear
1/26/11
notice
accept
2/1/11
believe in change
2/28/11
make note of who I am

No comments: