12.19.2011

acknowledge

It is time for me to acknowledge what is true. San Diego is not the culturally deprived city, myself, and others, often think it is.

Saturday night Dec 10 2011,  we went to the reception of Oilwhelmed, an installation by Terri Hughes-Oelrich, at Art Produce Gallery. Really well done. Whimsical and thought provoking, a combination I always enjoy.





This past Saturday during out urban hike we stopped at SDMA to see the exhibit Mexican Modern Painting. It's nice to pop into a museum and check out a collection of painting, most of which I'd never seen, in publication, or live.


Today I saw part of Phenomenal: California Light, Space, Surface at the La Jolla location of MCASD

What was most enjoyable, are the works which demand participation.


Bruce Nauman's Green Light Corridor



Robert Irwin's 1° 2° 3° 4°
Always a pleasure experience (although I wish they had a place to sit)

Then there was Eric Orr's Zero Mass, not sure how one would photograph that, but it was a great experience.

I also enjoyed seeing the objects in the show, Larry Bell and Douglas Wheeler among my favorites.

Douglas Wheeler's Untitled

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the exhibit at the downtown location, and I really hope I can see and experience it all more than once.

If I compare San Diego to Vancouver, I can see we have much more going on. Instead of comparing it to LA, SF, or NYC, I can also see I need to just appreciate the wonderful opportunities for art that we do have.

No comments: