6.27.2010

is our civilization in collapse

Reading a short article in Dwell Magazine, June 2010 issue, Bigger is Better Mark Lamster talks about megacities. Half a century ago, Lewis Mumford, the dean of urban historians, theorized that the arrival of the mega-city signaled ‘the last state of the classic cycle of civilization’ and would lead to the ‘the complete disruption and downfall’.
When our latest economic downturn started I wondered if this would be the start of a real change is our society, and deep inside I wished this would be the case.
I wonder if the bailout of banks stopped the possibility for change.
I wonder how interesting it might be to be living in a time where a civilization collapsed.
Cairo
Then I think back on history and realize the collapse of civilizations does not happen in a year our two that it takes tens or even hundreds of years.

And I know it does not matter, change happens all the time.

I wonder if I can observe slow change.

No comments: