6.03.2011

Shelter

Last night was the return of the Summer Salon Series at SDMA.
It was difficult for me to get there. I am so short of time, for my art, for my self. After work I was very hesitant to go. Remembering how much I enjoyed all the ones I went to last year, I got myself over there.
Being introduced to the work of Hughie Lee-Smith and his painting Sunday Afternoon was surprisingly nice. I really liked the painting they brought up from the vault.

Then listening to the conversation about the homelessness in San Diego and some of the things Councilman Todd Gloria and the city are doing and trying to do made me proud that Mr. Gloria is my city council representative.
Before the talks I had the opportunity to interact with Omar Lopez’s In the Belly of the Whale, this time on the outside. After the talks I wondered through the exhibit Art of the Americas. Reflecting on some of the wonderful pieces I discovered, no other people, only my thoughts to distract me.







I thought how wonderful many of these pieces where. How I was surprised that they were part of the museum collection (all but one, the Joan Brown). I enjoyed the solitude, and noticed how I crave it more and more.




When I went back out to the rotunda I saw Omar’s piece Homohaus being activated. I joined in for a little while, and then a little good conversation with some I had not seen in awhile.

As I walked back to the car I came across a group of homeless people, and smiled as I became aware that they had a TV, and it was running on the cities dollar. 
I did not regret going at all, and I look forward to being energized each week.

No comments: