8.09.2008

stuff: to produce or not to produce

I have been conflicted for a while now about creating “art”.


Today as I looked for something in the studio I notice I have a lot of stuff: paper, frames, canvases, paint, pencils, crayons, erasers, cutting blades, glues, tapes, old work, work in progress, work to be recycled, beads, wax…………………..

TO MUCH STUFF

It has all contributed to CO2 emissions, landfill, depletion of water, water pollution, exploitation of people……………………………………….




THIS IS AWFUL

Should I stop the practice of creating objects?

What would I do with all the “stuff”?


It saddens me to think of how much I contribute to an unhealthy environment through my art practice.

It saddens me to think I should stop.


It would be helpful to remember that stopping does not need to mean not to create.

If I want to stop, do I do it today, get rid of all the stuff, and donate it or recycle it, or what? Do I continue to create objects and use it up?

I wish I could talk to Robert Irwin. He stopped his studio practice a long time ago, and continues to create.

Robert Irwin garden at the Getty Center and "Nine Trees"

No comments: