8.26.2008

hangout buildings

Sunday I was up in LA with friends to see the inaugural installation at LACMA’s new building the Broad Contemporary Art Museum (BCAM).

The building was designed by architect Renzo Piano and it is fantastic. The concept is to start on the top, 3rd) floor and work your way down. This floor is flooded with natural light and it was the first time I have had the opportunity to see the works of Jasper Johns, Robert Rauschenberg, Cy Twombly, and Ed Ruscha in this kind of light.

The space inside this building felt like it could hold anything and accommodated very large painting easily. The elevator is fun to ride, although I had wished there had been glass towards the side with the Barbara Kruger mural commissioned for this space.

Lucky for us the views towards the Hollywood Hills were clear, and I look forward to seeing the park below, once it’s completed.

Then it was absolutely amazing to walk into the 1st floor and see the two Richard Serra pieces. I have never experienced his large scale work indoors, and it was such a different feeling. The pieces seemed even more massive, and more delicate. One of them as you walked through actually put you off balance.


I love buildings that draw me to hang out and LA now has three I find I look forward to returning to again and again, The Getty Center (although it’s many buildings), The Walt Disney Concert Hall, and now BCAM.

No comments: