1.15.2010

art experience

MCASD had a member’s event last night at the Dara Donovan exhibit. An informative informal walk through with curators. It was really nice to see this work at night.



I overheard a women say to another that it was nice that people were looking, but did they understand. I thought to myself, experience. Is understanding necessary? And then I wondered is it ever necessary that a viewer “understand”, any work, is the experience enough?



Dara Donovan’s work I found easy to like, it’s can be mesmerizing, beautiful, and enveloping.



The curator said the straw piece was site specific, but I question this.



Walls were made specifically for this piece so I am not sure this constitutes a site specific piece. I think her work can be moved can shown in many museums and galleries. My question, is this really site specific work?

I am gateful to MCASD for bringing this work so close to me. I find myself thinking that I am such a dumb artist, but then I let that go, and I am inspired.

No comments: