1.10.2010

success and art

Last night I went and heard Michele Guieu speak about her installation Lucy, Darwin and Me.

At the end there was a question and answer period and she was asked how she would measure if the exhibit was a success.

Success is such a relative subjective idea. Galleries would probably measure success through sales, museums through visits. Both would probably say a lot of media coverage is also a measurement of success.

But for me as an artist, the success of an exhibit means I have to gained knowledge and find inspiration to move on.




The process of seeing my work outside the studio and ideas realized needs to give me something to evolve as an artist. When this happens the exhibit, and/or installation is a success.


2 comments:

Michele Guieu said...

I totally agree Lori.
Thank you so much for coming to the talk!

Lori said...

Michele,
Thank you for being brave enough to get up in front of a crowd, speak about your art, and take questions from people.
Just the thought of doing this is scary to most of us!