1.27.2010

stuff again

I cannot stop thinking about where I want my art to go from here.

While viewing the Joseph Beuys Multiples show at BCMA, LACMA


I found myself thinking about creating multiples as a way to connect my art with more people.



But then I read Mario Cutajar, writer for ArtScene, on Art as Authority blog say:
“This imperative to ceaselessly produce stuff and fill the large empty spaces of institutions like MOCA is for me one of the most oppressive features of contemporary art.”

And I am brought back to how much it bothers me to make so much stuff. I am an artist and an avid environmentalist (and not new to either, both for 30+ years). Can I be true to both? How can I lessen my environmental impact, and make art? Maybe it can be public art, not the kind that is stuff stuck out there, something else. Maybe it is something not yet imagined something yet to be discovered, something I have no words for. Whatever it is now is the time to find it. I really need to find it.

Questions I have:
Does the work get recycled after being exhibited? Does this really solve the problem of stuff? Does the work come in and out of a box, easy to store, and transport. Does the work get made from materials that compost back into the earth? Does the work get made from discarded materials? Is the work permanent?

I need to study more about Cradle to Cradle, maybe answers can be found there.
In the meantime, do I keep making stuff? I do have plenty of stuff in my studio to keep making stuff. What can I, what should I do?

No comments: