1.17.2010

hometown care

As part of my goal to improve my fitness level I was suppose to ride the SDBC developmental ride yesterday. Because I woke up with a slight tickle in my throat I did an easier ride.

It was nice to go through neighborhoods and see that San Diego has many I would not mind living in. And we rode by a complex which I’d seen many times before, and every time I look and I say to myself how much I like the buildings. I thought it must be a high school and yesterday I made sure to see the sign and I discovered it was Lincoln High.



When I got home I Goggled Lincoln High and found out its history through Wikipedia. It has a long history and before it was torn down and rebuild, there was much gang activity. When we rode by today it was bustling with activity. I’ve ridden by many high schools on a Sat and they are locked up and void of humans, and I wondered why educational institutes would not be open all the time. Lincoln High has produced the second most NFL players in the entire nation. I find this impressive, and I’m not a football fan.




I discovered the architect, Joseph Martinez, alum of Lincoln High, with Martinez-Cutri (MC Architects). I checked out the website and saw more of their work.




It is uplifting work I have seen in some of the worst neighborhoods in San Diego.



This is most impressive. Here’s an architect that came from one of the worst schools in San Diego, becomes an architect, and remains in his community to help it, through architecture.

No comments: