4.24.2011

the difference being

Inside the Digital Scriptorium: New Works by Tim Schwartz

From Agitprop website: Inside the Digital Scriptorium is the culmination of a five month trip around the United States by artist Tim Schwartz, exploring what might be lost as archives, museums, and libraries become digital. The works in this show attempt to identify the space between physical objects and their digital surrogates and in some cases fill that gap. The works include a series of botanical prints which explore the loss between high resolution scans and archival web images, a pair of books which identify the space between a physical and digital book, and a set of pages from various authors that investigate with a missing page from the wild west.



There is much I like about Tim’s concept and the work that has come thus far, and I look forward to seeing what comes next. I think he has a plethora of material to work with.


And today as I worked at IKEA I noticed two distinct behaviors of children. One was what I remember as a child, engaged with the environment, interacting with it. The other, eyes glued to electronic devices, not at all engaged with their environment. I could see how shopping with the other would be easier. But I remember how much fun I had in strange environments where adults wanted to shop. I saw, touched, smelled, and heard, so much.
I know technology has and will continue to change this world. It will be interesting to see how it changes the creative process, our connection with each other, and our environment. I hope we do not loss our ability to engage directly.


Tim's work was engaging in it's presentation, and installation. It makes me think and wonder, even after leaving.

No comments: