4.18.2011

my piece Try To is no longer

There were 101 notebooks made, as part of the piece, and one prototype notebook. I have the prototype and #101. This means there are 100 Try To Notebooks circulating around, and when I think about this the muscles controlling my mouth easily form a smile.
97 recipients actively took their notebook from the piece.


I see Try To being re-framed, literally, and using it within the Free Art project.
This is some of what I take away from this experience.
I also take with me an understanding that I would be well advised to thoroughly check out what I am getting into, before committing to it. There were many things I was not comfortable with
-the group name FIG
-what the name stands for, Feminist Image Group
-works in the show not specifically made for the chosen content/title (What Women Want)
-first come first serve for installation of work
-lackadaisical attitude with regards to website threads
-the non commitment to be that Feminist group
-non-collaborative feel
-inconsistencies on how the group made decisions

I thank the group for the opportunity. I would have never made a piece in response to the question posed, and I have learned some things about myself, thereby having a valuable experience.
At this point I do not see myself staying with this group, but I do not know what the future will be.

No comments: