4.08.2011

letter press


The other day Rondi Vasquez, sixpenny-press, was gracious enough to allow me in glimpse into her process.


When I saw the letter press machine I was carried back into the eighteenth century. 

It just has that look for me.

Turns out its more modern, it gets plugged in.

Rondi let me try printing the Thank You note which was going inside the cards I ordered. 

It scared me. I was totally out of my element.


And when I watched her do it, she seems very much at ease, a very concentrated effortlessness. I wonder if once you got in the groove of it, it would be meditative.



She showed me all the types of letters and numbers she has, and how she can create symbols, images and things other than numbers and letters.

Things look like they go upside down and backwards. This would really work my brian.




What she is creating, I find, is very much visual and tactile. It draws me in.
We had tea and took some time to talk, which was really nice.

I look forward spreading her beautiful creations around.

I am grateful for the joy of knowing Rondi and what she creates brings to me and the world.

1 comment:

Michele Guieu said...

I just received the ones Rondi sent to me and I LOVE them! I was about to post something!
:)