4.25.2011

easy water

After hearing the Fresh Air interview The Worldwide 'Thirst’ For Clean Drinking Water, with Charles Fishman, I am even more painfully aware of how much water I use.

I feel guilt as I rinse our dishes, mop the floors, take a shower, and ....  It is so convenient, makes my life clean and easy.

I wonder, should we re-plumb our place. Stop the flow of water to the sinks, tub, and toilet. Put a hand pump in the yard, and composting toilet in the bathroom. Whenever I would need water I would have to go downstairs and pump for water. I wonder, would this decrease my use of water, or just help my get fit.


We could put in a grey water system. We could do a lot, but it all cost money.

For now I will just have to be conscientious about using water, and try my best to conserve.

2 comments:

Michele Guieu said...

I cannot believe that the sprinklers are back on here in the front yards - and I know they work all year round in SD. A major waste!

Water should be more expensive, the people who already pay attention would be penalized but everyone else would - at last! - pay attention.
Amazing how we take things for granted.
I told you that when I was a child my mom used to tell me "there is something in the house which is absolutely amazing - it is the faucet where you can get clean water anytime. Pay attention when you use it. It is an everyday miracle!"

I am enjoying your posts Lori!
Thanks for sharing -

Lori said...

Thank you for reminding me of what your mother told you. She puts it so beautifully.