5.17.2008

its tough living in san diego

Another heat wave has hit us. I think it’s the 3rd or 4th and it’s just the middle of May. This was why I decided to ride my bike out to the tip of Pt Loma. I know the cool Pacific water will make being by the coast much more comfortable than anyplace else.

As I get closer to the tip of the point I can see there is fog ahead. This excites me enough that I decide not to turn around at the cemetery.

I see the marine layer, which is creating the fog, moving across the point toward Coronado, downtown San Diego. As I ride through it I am delighted with how cool, and moist it feels. I know those riding else where in the county are not as comfortable as I am, right at the moment.

I get to where I have to turn around, or pay. I feel stronger than I have in quite a long time. My body is hardly in top performance shape, but there’s not need for it to be. It’s just nice that I am healthy, and fit. In my head I say to myself, I just hope I can keep this up, that there will be no injuries, or accidents. I know how long the recover can be, and I don’t want to go there again.

I get to into downtown San Diego and the route I take, takes me right smack dab, straight on, to Ash Street, and it is spectacular.


The Jacaranda trees are in full bloom. Possibly just past their peak, for there are millions of blossoms all over the ground.

I stop, get the iphone out, and take pictures. A car parks, a man gets out and says isn’t it beautiful. I agree, and add “It’s tough living in San Diego”.

I wind my way through downtown and start climbing the last hill home. I have a smile all the way, and I think, it has taken me a long time to really like, appreciate living here.


Even though the art community could be more communal.
Even though there could be more art galleries.
Even though there is a huge military presence.
Even though this is a conservative, Republican, town.
Even though there is massive urban sprawl.
Even though there are too many people driving and not enough mass transit.
Even though it is difficult at times to stay inside and work in my studio.
Even though.

It is inspiring, and finally, after 21 years, I really like living here.
It is inspiring.

No comments: