6.05.2008

first time to the bottom

My backpack is packed.
When I get home from the Thursday night hike all I have to do is pack the overnight bag, and get the snack food for the drive ready.

I am excited and nervous. I have not backpacked since leaving the San Diego Mountain Rescue Team. First it was no time, then no money, then the ankle injury.

Now I’m going and I’m as ready as I’m going to get.

No emails, no phones, no QuickBooks, no fax, no art, no blog, no Facebook.

Sat it’ll be 35-38 pounds on my back, down down down, descending to temperatures in the 100”s.The un-essentials I’m hauling on my back are 1 liter of red wine; cell phone flask with brandy, iphone (must try emailing a picture from the bottom).

What was I thinking when I got my friend to get me on her permit.

I was thinking, the GRAND CANYON, never been down there, might as well go.


Hang out at the bottom, do a little hike on Sunday.

Then Monday up up up, I hope with only 28-30 pounds on my back, and I hope the temps drop quickly as we climb out. Monday night it’s a hotel in Flagstaff, and drive home Tuesday.

This will be a very good adventure.

No comments: